Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:34:23 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP bug

> > In trying to track down why some boxes in my network can't connect to
> > certain WWW hosts, I determined that my FreeBSD is not routing the
> > packets for some reason.  It's receiving them, and the firewall code
> > *thinks* it's passing them on, but tcpdump doesn't see these packets go
> > out on the wire.
>
> just to understand, what is the problem related to ?

The problem is related to the fact that I can't contact certain WWW
machines from the 'internal ethernet' boxes.

> TCP as you say in the Subject, or IP (routing), or firewall ?
> Have you tried what happens by opening the firewall ?

Yep, no difference.  It appears my router box is not passing packets
through to the boxes on the internal ethernet.  I stuck the firewall on
that box just to see if the TCP stack was getting the incoming packets,
or if it was an external routing problem.  It's not an external routing
problem, but one inside of the FreeBSD router box.

> > Any clues?  A number of FreeBSD boxes in my net have this problem, so it
> > would be nice to get this resolved.  Note, I have Route-discovery ICMP
>
> btw: do the offending packets carry IP/TCP options by chance ? Just to
> have an idea what to look at in the code.

I have turned off TTCP if that's what you mean.  The box in question
trying to contact the net is running Win95 at this point, which I doubt
has TTCP extensions, and the FreeBSD boxes both have it turned off.

Nate