Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 06:23:43 +0200
From:      Hanno Liem <freebsd@dark4ce.com>
To:        Matthew Blacklow <blacklow@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Information

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 02:06:29PM +1000, Matthew Blacklow wrote:
> hi there,
> I need to know for uni the following:
>
> 1. what is freeBSD

Google: "freebsd" -> "I'm feeling lucky" brings you to www.freebsd.org,
where you can read:

  What is FreeBSD?

  FreeBSD is an advanced BSD UNIX operating system for the Intel compatible
  (x86), DEC Alpha, and PC-98 architectures. It is developed and maintained by
  a large team of individuals. Additional platforms are in various stages of
  development.

> 2. what sets it aside from other varients of linux

FreeBSD is not Linux. Although both are open source, free unixes, Linux (or
at least the kernel) was written from scratch by a Finnish CS student in the
beginning of the 90s. FreeBSD evolved from the "original" BSD Unix and is
considered more mature in code (older). Arguments often heard in comparing
the two are: Linux generally has better support for new hardware. FreeBSD is
more stable.

Read Nathan Boegers article for some more technical details.
http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2001/01/infrrevu/

> 3. what are its pros and cons

I'll leave that one for someone else. But I do suggest you read more on the
web, http://www.freebsd.org is a good starting point, or Google...

regards,

Han