Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:55:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Robinson <wigstah@akitanet.co.uk>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, Arnout Boer <arnout@xs4all.nl>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not gzip iso images?

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> And you're forgetting that, as I said in my original reply, people with
> 56K modems usually benefit from hardware compression over their link
> anyway.

But you're defeated by your own argument, as according to you the image
doesn't compress very well, and I suspect (in fact I know) that hardware
compression at the modem is not as efficient as gzip -9 ... at best you
might be able to get that 22Mb we're talking about saving, down to a 10Mb
saving... you're still leaving the guy with the modem sat there for around
45 minutes...

--
Paul Robinson - Developer/Systems Administrator @ Akitanet Internet