Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:45:26 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@shift.lan.awfulhak.org>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        hans@brandinnovators.com, sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk, brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, brian@utell.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backspace = ^H

> This is more of a religious issue than anything else. There are lots
> of system which use the Delete character (177) to delete a character :-)
> I prefer a system where ^h is help in emacs, and the arrow key above the
> enter key is mapped to Delete, which deletes characters.
>
> Please don't go around and claim that there is 'one editor that gets
> it wrong', and using ^h to delete characters is more logical than using
> Delete. Both of those characters are equally logical.
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

True - the only really "solid" argument that I've seen however is the
ascii table.

Perhaps there should be an easier way of doing things - maybe
(in the case of FreeBSD) a sysctl variable that allows the default
erase char to be changed:

/etc/sysconfig:
# Specify NO if you like things inconsistent, erase defaults to
# ^h, BS sends ^?, DEL sends ^h
# Otherwise specify your erase char (^h or ^? usually)
erasechar=NO

/etc/rc.i386:
if [ ."$erasechar" != .NO ]; then
    sysctl xxxxx.erasechar=$erasechar
    kbdcontrol -l blah blah BS=$erasechar
fi

I still prefer the system that says 0x7f is the "Backspace key" and
erase is 0x7f - I personally don't care about the delete key.  I
do most of my typing on a laptop and couldn't tell you offhand where
the hell the DEL key is anyway :)

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk> <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>;