Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:58:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      thursday@altavista.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nic woes

I am slowly being driven insane.

I have a unix machine with what I thought was a dead nic. One day it worked, the next it didn't. Today, I brought home a new (to me) nic, popped it into the machine, rebooted, configured the new nic, and voila, nothing.

OK, I figures, it's a problem with the OS. I want to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.1 anyway, so I install the new hard drive I got, run the boot floppies, and get set for a cool net install, and...nothing.

The OS is detecting the nic, and configures it properly. From the console I can ping its IP address (192.168.1.4) AND 127.0.0.1 and localhost, so...what's the problem?

Is it the cable? No. I tried 3 different cables. BUT...the light for the port I'm plugged into on my hub is not coming on. OK...try different ports, no luck.

Where could the problem lie? There are no other machines on my net with the same IP address; I even tried others in the 192.168.1 range.

Is the hub bad? Is it the machine? It's an 8-port hub and works fine for the other 4 machines connected to it.

Am I missing something? Can you give me some hip pointers?