Date:      23 Mar 1998 17:50:10 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE+LPIP causing random lockups

Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk> writes:
> On 15-Mar-98 Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > The symptoms are that my main machine (only) locks up and needs a
> > reset to recover.  The laptop has never been affected.  The problem
> > only occurs when there is LPIP activity between the machines and seems
> > to also correlate with disk activity on the main machine, and using
> Only to add that I have seen this happen in a similar set up. However I feel it
> is also to do with having a "fast" and "slow" machine. The "fast" machine
> dies more frequently than the "slow" machine; and it depends on which machine

I submitted a PR about this (i386/5698) on February 10th. It would be
useful if you could both follow it up with whatever information and
observations you have. Just point your browser to this URL:

I have been looking into this a little, but did not really get
anywhere except a slight cleanup of the lp driver (which has been
merged into -current - or so I've been told; I don't run -current
myself, for lack of bandwidth). Since the last of these reboots cost
me the root inode on my laptop's /usr, I am somewhat disinclined to do
any more testing unless I get my hands on a second scratch machine.

--
fprintf(stderr, "I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out.\n");