Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:44:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        "Humprey C. Sy" <humprey@linux1.dlsu.edu.ph>, fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tun0 message

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Annelise Anderson wrote:
>
> > > Routed is telling you something.  That something should be "don't run me
> > > unless you have to."  :-)  It's a normal message, but unless you have to,
> > > don't run routed; disable it in /etc/sysconfig.
> >
> > And why not run routed?  Because it is not in my interest?  Or whose?
> > This advice is often given and never explained.  I find that not
> > running routed causes long delays in booting and also in running
> > some programs.
>
> Then you need to remove references to the ${hostname} in /etc/sysconfig
> and replace them with your IP.
>
> And make sure your routing table setup in sysconfig is right too.

The machine with the long delays without routed is my home machine, which
sometimes makes slip connections with a dynamic IP assigned and sometimes
makes a ppp connection with a fixed IP.  It has a hostname that Stanford's
name server knows about (in relation to the fixed IP address).  I would
therefore not want to use a fixed IP address instead of a host name.  So I
run routed -s on it, and it's happy.  On my office machine, which is the
ppp server, routed -q runs and this appears necessary--I think--to handle
the proxy arp instruction (and ipfw is running also).

> Problem with routed is that if your router goes bonkers then you can kiss
> your default route goodbye.  I got bit by it once and stopped using it
> right then and there.

But the default route goes to the router!  How else are the packets going
to get out????

Annelise