Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:11:14 +0200
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/fbtab login device matching

/etc/fbtab is a file read at login which sets permissions on devices if
certain conditions are met.

My problem is that I would like to match the login device against a
simple pattern ("/dev/ttyv*") instead of an absolute name
("/dev/ttyv0"). This does not seem to be possible using the current
implementation (4.0-RELEASE/5.0-CURRENT).

I want to change the ownership of /dev/console to the user that logs in
(which sounds reasonable, right?) on any of /dev/ttyv* without
explicitely list each of them (/dev/ttyv0-7). Instead I would like to
use a pattern like "/dev/ttyv*".

Would a patch for src/usr.bin/login/login_fbtab.c that uses some kind of
pattern matching, like glob(3) for example, be desirable?

Markus

--

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/