Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2002 08:41:19 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@sw.ru>, Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: using mem above 4Gb was: swapon some regular file

Terry Lambert wrote:
> So whatever connections you are getting now... halve that, or less,
> to get a window for your RAM disk (you will need KVA for mappings
> for all the memory that *can* be in the window, etc.).

To emphasize this: if you are using 4K pages, you will need:

	4K/1M * 64G = 256M

...1/4 of 1G of memory outside the window, just for page tables.

Also, if we still were using an mbuf per connection for the
template, for 1,000,000 connections, that's 256M of RAM -- another
1/4 gig.

Yeah, most people don't think in these terms; personally, I like
to call it "Extreme BSD".  8-).

-- Terry