Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      agent smith <runner1010101@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't boot kernel from boot prompt :(

Hello,

Have a 5.1 install on a two HD machine. disk1 is
winXP, disk2 is FreeBSD. I couldn't get the install to
write to the MBR on disk1, so I tried booting from the
CD and at the boot prompt trying to load the kernel
from my BSD partition. Can't get it. I've read a few
things I could find on google and they didn't work,
kept looking on the CD I think. Sorry, not very savy
at this yet, though I didn't think it would matter
between 4.8 and 5.1, so didn't try a older release
version. I just need some info on the correct method
for booting from the prompt.

lsdev at the prompt lists something like
Disk0:  drive A:
Disk1:  drive C:
     shows two partitions ( thiis is XP drive)

Disk2:
     shows my BSD partions:
     ad1s1a  UFS ( or whatever the partition is...)
     ad1s1b  swap

I've tried the following at the boot prompt (prefaced
with 'boot' or
'load'):

disk2s1a:/kernel
disk2s1a:kernel
disk2s1a:/boot/kernel
   ''    /boot/kernel/kernel

2:ad(1,a)/kernel

and many variations of this.

I know it's kinda funny looking at all the things I
tried, I'm new! :)

Anyway, like I said, it would seem to access the CD
and after a bit I would get the message "can't find
<insert above attempt> .."

Any help would be appreciated, I just wanna boot from
my HD!  /waaaa!

Thanks for any assistance. I've looked in the archives
and haven't came across anything that worked.

JD