Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:10:57 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        armand <armand@linuxstart.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition Magic, Windows 98 & FreeBSD

armand wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out how to partition my hard drive
> which is on a Toshiba laptop with 4.2gb of space, so that I
> can add FreeBSD & be able to study it more & learn while I'm
> away from home on my job. Is FreeBSD like so many other OS's
> where the 1024 cylinder comes into play? That is, because the
> Windows 98 install takes up so much room, even after cleaning
> out as much as possible, there is only 1.35gb of free space,
> so am wondering even if I successfully install FreeBSD, will
> it boot from beyond the 1024 cylinder?  If I use Partiton
> Magic to add a partition, should it be a primary, extended or
> logical partition & if the 1024 cylinder point is crucial,
> will I have to move part of my Windows 98 to another partition?
> Lot of questions, but have tried to find the answer in the
> FreeBSD book, as well as at the FreeBSD web site & in news
> groups, to no avail. Thanks for any & all help you can give
> me on this issue.

Well, the 1024 rule with LBA turned on is usually aroung 8.4GB. You
most likely don't need to worry. With only 1.35GB, you probably can't
play with building systems and such. I think they need more room but
I've never done things like "make clean", which removes files used to
do the install, when I get through with an install and that biases my
space requirements. I was creating /tmp's that were on the order of
1.5GB. If you only create a / and swap, you will use all of the disk
that you have. If you run out of space, at some point the system shuts
down. That will be a definition point on what you can do.

The rule on swap is 2x memory. With a CD around, an install doesn't
take long and if you make a serious error in judgement, you can change
it in the next version. I believe that if you aren't making mistakes,
you aren't learning anything. There are a number of tutorials on
www.freebsd.org that will help you.

FreeBSD 4.1 and later doesn't have a cylinder 1024 rule. It has to be
a primary partition or slice in the FreeBSD terminology. I have
multi-boot machines with FreeBSD located between my primary partition
(Windows) and the extended partition. I also have FreeBSD located
after the extended partition. You are permitted to have 4 partitions
and the primary and extended only represent 2 partitions. I tried to
install Linux on one of those systems but got hopelessly confused,
removed it, and continued to install FreeBSD on all of them.

I used Partition magic to adjust the Windows partitions.

Kent

> Denny White
> Biloxi, MS.

Kent Stewart