Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:47:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        opsys@mail.webspan.net (Open Systems Networking)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, dshanes@personalogic.com, brett@lariat.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

	We need a starting point.  A number of years ago I saw the
	first issue of the Linux magazine.  Then heard no more
	about it.  I was pleased that at last the Free Unix world
	has a real (paper) rag in circulation; and the following
	year when I began running FreeBSD I thought that it would
	be nice if this Linux pub could be merged in with the FBSD
	world.

	<<BZZZZT>>

	Well, I've heard the buzzer there.  But it still leaves open
	the issue of having a pay-for or free FBSD publication.
	Quarterly at first; then perhaps bi-monthly.

	I've seen one of the ``Announcement'' circulars from WC//FBSD.
	Could this serve as our house organ?  Say 4 to 8 pages for the
	first few issues.  And expanding.

	I was a writer several lifetimes ago, and altho tech writing
	is nearly beyond me (it ain't easy, folks),  I'd be willing
	to invest time in a *BSD magazine.

	There are hundreds or thousands among the BSD users more
	skilled than I, so should be no lack of articles.  We could
	also have an online magazine; either ASCII-only or HTML
	distributed by email.

	Publicizing the Berkeley Software Distribution will require
	sweat; and imagination.  It shouldn't take that much capital.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix