Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:11:02 -0700
From:      "fbsd" <fbsd@wbs-inc.com>
To:        "Bruce Piper" <bruce_piper@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Routing question

Can you run tcpdump on the new router?
Have you run tcpdump on your FreeBSD boxes to see where things are going?
What you wrote sounds like you are speculating about some aspects of the
situation.  If you can trace where they go and how far they go you can
present a much clearer question.

If the return packets do go through your new router what are the addresses
in the header once they get to the far side of the router (i.e. on the
outbound interface) If the 'to' address is correct and the 'from' address is
the router itself then the point where they are getting blocked might be at
the far end.  Could the host that is expecting the reply be blocking or
ignoring the reply packets because the 'from' address is different than what
is expected?