Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:19:14 -0800
From:      jcampbell@intacct.com (John P. Campbell)
To:        steve <tresstatus@bsdpunk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more about bellsouth dsl

I've had both PacBell and SouthWestern Bell or SBC or whatever they call
themselves lately.  FreeBSD works great with the Alcatel non-USB DSL modems I
have found.  Take with a grain of salt what the "experts" there say.  I'm sure
this list has more knowledge on the subject.

The Pacbell installation was $150.  Since I was doing enhanced (5 IP's), that
was not negotiable.  The guy came over and was very nice, but completely lost.  I had everything ready for him and he said, "You seem to know more than me, so
I'll just watch".  I plugged in the cable, turned on the modem and was surfing
in no time.  He did his obligatory test with the multimeter to show my
download/upload speeds and said, "Wow, this was the easiest installation I have
ever done".

SWB split the line outside of my house and installed a new jack in my office
that was DSL only.  PacBell hooked all my phone jacks up by doing something on
the outside box so that it shares the same line.  To use a phone, I have to
first plug a special filter in to the normal phone jack.  But this way, I can
use hte DSL in other rooms (with modem of course).  Both ways worked equally
well though.

jpc

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 04:29:43PM -0600, steve wrote:

> Ok,
> I mailed to the list earlier.  I found out that they offer 2 modems that
> aren't usb.  one can be found here
> http://www.alcatel.com/consumer/dsl/prodhome.htm ...but.  They told me I
> couldn't do the installation myself.  They'd have to have a guy splice some
> crap or something.  *shrugs*  Seems pretty straight forward but they wanna
> charge $150 for it.  The other route i can go is an Efficient Networks
> 3060.  I've yet to find a good description of this on a website and I
> didn't see it in the kernel.
>
> --
> stephen
> ---
> bsdpunk.com ... we're the dot in dot dot dot...

John P. Campbell
Intacct Corporation
408-395-0961
720 University Ave. Ste. 100