Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:56:04 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>, "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>, "cpet@sdf.org" <cpet@sdf.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

On Apr 15, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com> =
wrote:

> In message <18DF99B0-6E66-4906-A233-7778451B8A92@felyko.com>, Rui =
Paulo=20
> writes:
>> 2013/04/15 9:55=1B$B!"=1B(BCy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com> =
=1B$B$N%a%C%;!<%8=1B(B:
>>=20
>>> I've been planning on taking on IP Filter for quite some time.=20
>>> Unfortunately I've left my src commit bit lapse (my ports commit bit =
is=20
>>> alive and well though) thus I'm looking for a mentor. In addition =
I'm=20
>>> working on an ACER WMI/ACPI kld. One mentor would be preferred but =
two=20
>>> would be fine too.
>>=20
>> What are your plans regarding ipfilter? I remain unconvinced that it =
should b
>> e in the base system. Perhaps you can work on it as a port?
>=20
> The initial plan was to import IP Filter 5.1.2 into HEAD. darrenr@ =
hadn't=20
> done much with IPF while employed with Sun. Since then there has been =
some=20
> development that is long overdue for HEAD.
>=20
> I'm not sure if I'd MFC it into 9 or not.
>=20
> I did consider a port but given it would has to touch bits and pieces =
of=20
> the source tree (/usr/src), a port would be messy and the decision was =
made=20
> to work on importing it into base.
>=20
>>=20
>> Why do you want to work on something that people have been trying to =
remove s
>> ince 2005?
>=20
> I and others have been using it in FreeBSD for over decade. For the =
longest=20
> of time we'd use a common set of rules across a FreeBSD and Solaris =
farm=20
> (using ipfmeta, makefiles, rsync, rdist, and a local CVS repo).=20
> Interoperability with other systems which use IP Filter is a plus. If=20=

> there's a maintainer, it only makes FreeBSD richer. Losing IP Filter =
would=20
> be a loss.
>=20

If you're committed to maintaining IPFilter, that's great.  However, it =
can't be
left to stagger along in a  zombie state with nothing more than good =
intentions
from well meaning people.  What is your timeline for getting it back =
into shape
and re-integrating yourself into the committer community?

Scott=