Date:      5 Jan 2002 12:47:27 -0800
From:      Steve Milley <smilley@altavista.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   solution to dependencies!

Thanks guys for your supportive help! I found the solution. The problem was on the 4th Cd on 4.4 LITE(not the Toolkit CDs) there are KDE programs on there that are old that have older dependencies, and of course the one it automatically installed was an older version, back in the KDE 1.x, rather than 2.x distribution. The solution to that was that I cleaned out the whole system and started new, just installing stuff I needed as I went. So, I don't know if this has been a problem that has been reported in their official release CDs. All I can say is that I couldn't figure it out until many many hours of research, installing, de-installing, looking through dependencies and trying to fix it. But, IMHO, I found out the best thing is not to install things you AREN'T AWARE OF!!! :)
And, in addition, you should know what exact versions are installed on your system, before you install anything. But, I can say that _I_ learned this!! I don't intend to start OS wars, but I see what they're talking about FreeBSD being very learnable OS, and hence true user-friendliness. And, I can customize it to my system! I just hope FreeBSD becomes the stable and powerful OS it always was/is. I like this
type of learning and I can now say I'm learning Unix, not Linux/NT/etc.!! I'm not saying this to flame Linux, NT, etc., but in lieu of the articles I have read about FreeBSD, I can say it is truely Unix! But, you have to decide for yourself what is best to your situation. For me, I want to learn and customize! But, if it weren't for installing DOS/Windows/Linux, I don't know where I would be.
So, again thanks for your support on the questions. I know there will be more!...

P.S. And, it _is_ fun!

Best of Wishes
Steve

http://www.shopping.altavista.com