Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:35:21 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Linda Foley <lfoley@rocler.qc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ready to switch, but...

* Linda Foley <lfoley@rocler.qc.ca> [000811 13:11] wrote:
> Hi,
>      sorry that there's a BUT, but I have to ask a few things before I
> make this decision final.
> -about the packaging system: how does it work?  does it download and
> install automatically the desired program as well as its dependencies?
> Is it possible to upgrade the whole system à la apt-get dist-upgrade (if
> it's not COULD it be available soon?)?

The packaging systems handles dependancies over the network.

To upgrade the whole system you'll want to use CVSup:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html

> -Can I play Linux games (especially Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament)

You should be able to, if not let us know exactly how it fails.

> -How does FreeBSD performs compared to Linux (in terms of stability,
> speed, memory-usage, etc. (you can use comapraisons, like a Ferrari vs a
> Civic, or whatever)

FreeBSD: http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/images/car1.jpg
Linux: http://www.ecubed.com/bmw/CrapBMWDelSol/

:)

> -I have the source code of a program made with Linux.  Is it possible to
> make it run under FreeBSD without means of emulation

It should be possible as long as it's not too linux specific.

> -are there good sites (such as www.linuxnewbie.org) to help FreeBSD
> newbies?

the FreeBSD handbook is available at:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook