Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:38:28 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>, <g.paredes@unitec.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <gerardo_enrique_paredes@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Help with ed0 driver / NE2000 compatible NIC?

On Friday 15 February 2002 06:19 am, Jaime Kikpole wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Gerardo Enrique Paredes Mancía wrote:
> > Ok, i'm am having a big problem with a NE2000 NIC, the default
> > settings from the installation didn't found the card and i just
> > tried a suggestion i found on the freebsddiary telling me to
> > change the irq to 10 port to 0x300 and iomen to 0xcc000.

   How is your BIOS' "Pnp OS?" option set?  If it's "Yes," I'd
recommend trying "No."  I had some trouble getting a pnp ISA modem to
work and this was one of things that I had to do to get it to work.

> 	I had one of these in my first FreeBSD box (it has used release
> 2.2.1 through 3.x or 4.x.... I can't remember) and had a bunch of
> problems, too.  Once configured, it would work fine.  It was a
> source of trouble every time I added or removed hardware, though.
> If you get fed up, go buy a cheap PCI card.  Those have always
> "just worked" for me.

   Ummm... maybe -- but I'd check out the mailing-list archives,
first.  I have a Linksys LNE100TX PCI NIC that woulnd't work with my
FBSD 3.2 system.  I upgraded to 4.4 and now it works with a new
driver that became available somewhere in 4.x...  I'm sure most of
the NIC's out there will work, but I'd still look around for
potential trouble, first, just to be on the safe side, unless you
thnk you'd have no trouble returning the card.

--
"He gets through too late who goes too fast." -- Publius Syrus, 42
B.C.