Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:25:16 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/atacontrol atacontrol.8 atacontrol.c

At 08:58 AM 4/2/02 +0200, S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:

>If a disk in a RAID1 goes bad, the driver will continue to use the
>good half of the mirror, and log the fact that the mirror is now
>in degraded mode. You can then use atacontrol to detach the disk,
>add a new one, and use atacontrol to rebuild the array, all without
>having to take down the machine. If the last good disk fail, the driver
>will log that the array is broken, and return error on all accesses...
>
>And yes I'll add a get status/mode command :)

Awesome!  I just tried it on our test machine.

raidtest2# atacontrol status ar0
ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad8 ad10 status: READY
raidtest2#

Also, I updated a few other boxes that have

atapci0: <VIA 82C686 ATA100 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1 on=
=20
pci0

and so far so good!

Also, what would you recommend for hot swapable trays ?

         ---Mike