Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 21:16:57 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com, Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports and /usr/local/java

Hi Dylan,

> Eventually it should be folded into hier(7).  The problem with that manpage
> is that it does not fully define the structure of /usr/local except to say
> that it should follow /usr.

Yeah, we can suggest extending hier(7), perhaps for Java-specific issues only
(at first). And http://www.freebsd.org/java/ should also mention these rules.
Thirdly, these rules should also go into the Porters Guide. Finally, portlint
should be extended to check these rules if possible.

> I have changed the documentation to reflect SDK for Sun 1.2.x 1.3.x and
> 1.4.x to be consistent with Sun's pages, and am addressing the SDK/JDK
> naming issue in the FAQ.

Sounds wise.

Ernst