Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:35:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gregory Carvalho <GregoryC@stcinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with tar

On Saturday, 19 June 1999 at 18:38:36 -0700, Gregory Carvalho wrote:
> /root, /bin, /sbin and the other root directorys are not restoring when
> tar -xvz is issued:(
>
> Two objectives for the restore: test a disaster recovery scenario,
> expand partition sizes.
>
> First I used dd to overwrite the beginning of the 18GB drive (which had
> FreeBSD 3.1 Release). I then used the FreeBSD 3.1 Release CDROM to load
> FreeBSD. I used Novice, and configured very little (partitions and
> mouse).
>
> The following entry in crontab was used to backup on DDS3 DAT for a
> couple of weeks prior to using dd:
> 30	2	*	*	2-6	root	/usr/bin/tar -cvz /

You don't need the -z option on DDS3.  The tape compression does just
as good a job, and it may speed things up.

> The mail generated by the backup appeared good (although I am
> uncertain whether /root or the others were in the list).

It looks as if you should have kept the mail messages.

> I tried to use tar -xvpz from /, but the root dirs did not get
> restored.

What happened?  Nothing?

> tar -tvz displays entries from: /dev, /stand, /etc. It does not show
> those mentioned above. In addition I installed WordPerfect 8 for Linux,
> which created a dir named /wpmacros. The directory definetly was listed
> in the mail results from cron. /wpmacros was not restored nor listed in
> -tvz.

It looks to me as if you overwrote your tapes.  The command you're
using is OK.

> I am soliciting suggestions on how to restore the dirs. If it is not
> possible with the create command I issued, then please let me know
> the command. If the command I need to issue is something I have not
> mentioned here to extract the dirs, please let me know what the
> command is.

> In God I Trust!

Maybe that's your solution.  I don't think anybody else can help much.

Greg