Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:59:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donnie Jones <donniejones18@yahoo.com>
To:        Walter McGinnis <wtem@olywa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 4.0 to 4.4 cablem firewall/router ssh problems

--- Walter McGinnis <wtem@olywa.net> wrote:
> At 5:38 AM -0800 12/13/01, Donnie Jones wrote:
> >  > Previously, I was able to ssh to remote hosts
> from
> >  > my LAN behind my
> >  > FreeBSD box, after the upgrade and resumption
> of
> >  > cable service I
> >  > can't.  I can ssh between boxes on the LAN and
> from
> >  > the
> >  > router/firewall to remote hosts.
> >  >
> >  > TIA,
> >  >
> >  > Walter McGinnis
> >

> >What rules do you have set up in your firewall?
>
> I'm using natd and ipfw.  I'm starting with a an
> open script for the
> firewall until I get this resolved:
>
> # ipfw list
> 00100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via xl0
> 00101 allow ip from any to any via lo0
> 00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
> 03000 allow log logamount 100 ip from any to any
> 65535 deny ip from any to any
>
> The 65535 rule concerns me, but I suspect is as a
> result of the
> kernel being set to deny by default.  Even after a
> manual flush it
> persists.  The other explicit rules that I write
> overrule 65535,
> right?
>
> >  Maybe
> >you should move the firewall rules file somewhere
> else
> >and put a new one there that is blank, in order to
> >enable the firewall to pass everything through.
>
> This what I've done:
>
> from rc.conf:
> gateway_enable="YES"
> router_enable="YES"
> router="routed"
> router_flags="-q"
> tcp_extensions="NO"
> forward_sourceroute="NO"
> accept_sourceroute="NO"
> hostname="2512-13A.attbi.com"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_script="/etc/firewall-1"
> firewall_quiet="NO"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
> defaultrouter="12.232.151.1"
> network_interfaces="xl0 lo0 rl0"
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 12.232.151.171 netmask
> 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_rl0="inet 10.0.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> inetd_enable="NO"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> kern_securelevel="NO"
> ... (about if exept mouse, linux,and network time
> stuff"
>
> in firewall-1 are all the rules except 635535.
>
> from natd.conf:
>
> port 8668
> # same_ports
> # unregistered_only
> interface xl0
> redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.10:8000-9000 8000-9000
> redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.10:80 80
> # dynamic
>

> >Do
> [...]

Well, I think I have it for you.  :)

I believe you had the exact same problem as I did when
I set up my router a few days ago.

Add these lines to your rc.conf:
ipfilter_enable="YES"
ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.rules"

Remove the other lines concerning the firewall and
leave ipf.rules empty, but do create the file.

I hope this is the fix you needed because mine LAN was
doing the exact same thing.

Good luck.

-Donnie