Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 2003 15:36:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        srenna@vdbmusic.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_info +COMMENTS problem

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 09:00:55AM -0400, srenna@vdbmusic.com wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I'm having a problem.  Whenever I run pkg_info with
> whatever switches, I receive this at the top of the read
> out, any ideas?
>=20
> pkg_info: show_file: can't open '+COMMENT' for reading

Somewhere under /var/db/pkg you have a +COMMENT file which isn't
readable by your UID.  That's not correct -- all of the files under
/var/db/pkg should be readable by all.  That is mode 644 for general
files or mode 755 for directories and executables.  All should be
owned by root:wheel as well.  Except for +MTREE_DIRS files which seem
to be mode 444 for some odd reason.

Try this (as root):

    # cd /var/db/pkg
    # chown -R root:wheel .