Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:14:47 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

The reasons we dont deal with J. Dixon are rather obvious here.....

>> 	Hmmm, ET takes up two ISA slots?  What are the problems with the
>> ET?
>
>The boards that we have -- I think that the date on the PCB is 1992 --

the riscomm design is about the same age.....so whats your point? We
didnt have problems with our design, so we haven't change the copyright.
Perhaps you'd rather deal with a company that needs 5 revs of a board to
get it right...but thats your choice.

>have one connector on the backplate.  The second port is on a very short
>ribbon cable that just barely makes it to the next ISA slot.

We have longer cables for chassis mount. Clearly this is an issue with
6 ports, but not with four or less. the age of the design...well the boards
work and give 100% throughput..not much to change.....

>Other problems: the logic for each port is on a small daughterboard.
>This is held in only by friction.  There is a device below one of the
>daughterboards -- the one for port 0, unfortunately -- that is too
>high (because it is socketed), so you can't get the daughterboard all
>the way in without causing it to bow.  Then over time it gradually works
>its way out.

The "logic" is NOT on the daughtercard,only the electrical interface (ie V.35
or RS-422) . the socket / bowing problem was addressed well over a year
ago.......the ICs are no longer socketed and the "Friction" is quite substatial.

>We also had support problems with ET (we bought three boards and ET
>adamantly refused to supply three sets of documentation) but YMMV.

you had support problems because you refused to do what I asked you to
do when you had problems, and it was fairly evident that you were more
concerned with finding problems than solutions.

We supply 1 manual per order..you are free to copy them as you please. If
you pay list price for all of the boards, you can get 3 manuals. Its a fairly
simply policy.

>> 	Hmmm okay, but is the ET still better than a Cisco?  and does the
>> SDL cost less or more than the ET?
>
>The Cisco 2501 would be my last choice.  If you are using PPP or Cisco
>HDLC to talk to your provider, I would recommend the SDL card plus John
>Hays' FreeBSD driver.  If you are using frame relay the ET card is the
>only choice with FreeBSD.

You get what you pay for. We provide full-featured and well-supported
drivers....
integrated debugger, bandwidth management and filtering.. and if you're using
frame there really is no competition to our product.

Dennis