Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 01:06:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, sos@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libvgl - status and perspectives

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> > >
> > > Oops, sos and I have developed a new version of libsvgl which can
> > > handle VESA modes in addition to the standard VGA graphics modes.
> > > But I haven't committed it to the source tree yet (yes, I should have
> > > done so weeks ago ;-(
> > >
> > > Anyway, if you are interested, I can send you a copy for testing.
> >
> > Yes, sort of... You see, with libvgl I ended up implementing most of the
> > events abstraction myself - libvgl seriously lacks this (among others).
> > So, of course new VESA modes are very interesting, but what would be
> > really cool is more general framework for graphical terminal handling.
>
> Hmm, libvgl was originally only thought as a way to do simple graphics
> on the console, nothing more. What exactly is it you need ??

Things like mouse/key events and queues thereof, filled/patterned shapes
and lines, draw modes (even BGI drivers could do that!) are the most
important that come to mind... "Events" for me means that I can call an
API which will deliver pending information about keypresses, mouse
movemnts and buttons, without writing that
select/read/ioctl/enqueue/compress hassle you have to do now each time you
want to see if something happened.

> (And I'm not suggesting that I have the time to do it :) )

Me neither... :-) I'm just in complaining mode, I guess...

> > Do you know something about this?
>
> I think you all know my feelings about svgalib so I wont comment on that
> one. I havn't been following the GGI project lately so I dont know what
> they have achived, but last time I looked it had a loooong way to go to
> be minimally usefull, and their kernel stuff was, well, not something I'd
> put into our kernel....
> Anyhow, I think we have what can be currently done resonably in the kernel
> its just a matter of how you should interface to it. Remember that VESA

Any docs for e.g.the fb device? I know,you can always UTSL, but it takes
more time.

OBTW. there is an error in mouse(4) manpage. The ioctl is called
MOUSE_GETSTATUS, not MOUSE_GETSTATE as the manpage claims.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----