Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:31:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Time for FreeBSD.COM (freebsd.inc?)

Is it now time for FreeBSD Inc.?

Slashdot has a story about Intel and Netscape investing in the Red Hat
Linux operation... according to ZDNET!

http://www.slashdot.org/articles/98/09/25/2150250.shtml
which points to:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/zdnn_smgraph_display/0,4436,2142107,00.html

Just an opinion -- not a flame:

Perhaps some enterprising type will finally come up with a commercially
supported FreeBSD in the near future.  I'm not sure if it's something
Walnut Creek will back, or some group of folks who resell FreeBSD
based products in some kind of joint funding or consortium.

We've got the better software, but are losing both the mindshare and
investments that we could be getting.  Imagine both Intel and Netscape
dropping some $$ into FreeBSD and FreeBSD versions of their products.

(Hell, I'd even be willing to see Microsoft invest in FreeBSD's future in
enterprise sites, and growth and applications...)

Anyone going to be at ISPcon San Jose to see this?

Bill
stuck on the East Coast, missing the fun and even LISA this year.