Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 17:21:43 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning question

At 5:01 PM -0400 10/07/00, James Howard wrote:

>I have this silly problem with paritioning.  When I do a new installation
>and go to format the new partitions, I am invariably told that the
>partition cannot be located.  As near as I can tell, I am the only person
>this happens to.  What am I screwing up to cause this?

What is telling you he partition can't be located??  From stand/sysinstall
you would first go into an "fdisk" type utility where you create the
FreeBSD partion.  Then you go into a disk labelling utility that creates
the slices for /, /usr, /swap, etc., and create mount points for any other
partitions (such as DOS).

What are you seeing in FreeBSD's version of fdisk??

On a related note, if you have slices set up with an earlier version that
supports bad block handling (eg. 3.4), a later version of stand/sysinstall
does not support bad block handling (eg. 4.1) will not find them.