Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:24:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH: if_de.c #ifdef based version encoding

> > This patch allows people to compile v3 kernels containing if_de.c on v2
> > systems.
> >
> > Please commit it.
>
> Why aren't you submitting these via send-pr(1) as discussed?  As it
> is, these patches will be lost almost immediately into the -current
> mailing list archives unless someone gets to them right away.

My patches to support server side fcntl() semantics for NFS locking
were submitted via sendpr.

When they are integrated, or rejected on the basis of failing a code
review, then I will start believing that mechanism works.

> The PR mechanism may not always be the best attended of our
> facilities, but it's many times better than just sending patches via
> email.  If this latest batch from Terry vanishes into obscurity he'll
> have noone to blame but himself for it since send-pr is the clearly
> stated mechanism for submitting change requestes.

I disagree.  Unlike patches submitted by the sendpr mechanism, this
batch of patches is now usable by a wide audience.

It is my experience that patches submitted via sendpr tend to languish
until after major upheavals, after which time they fail to apply
cleanly, and then I get the blame.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org