Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2019 08:11:10 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PS mouse/USB mouse no response

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:00:07 -0400 (EDT), doug wrote:
> I have xorg-7.7_3  and hal-0.5.14_34. The mouse is a really old usb logitec
>
> ps shows: /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto -I /var/run/moused.ums0.pid

Similar here, with two mice I get two instances of moused running.
Not two cursors, but I can move one or the other mouse to move the
cursor. Works both in "text mode" and in X.

> Rc.conf:  moused_enable="YES"
>            moused_port="/dev/ums0"

That shouldn't be needed, because moused is invoked from devd
with the correct device name. The device only needs to be
specified (or should I say: "needed to be specified") for
devices that are not "plug & play", such as serial ports,
which could be attached to anything; for example a serial
mouse needed the _port option to be set manually, whereas
the PS/2 and USB usually don't.

>            #dbus_enable="YES"
>            #hald_enable="YES"

Correct. :-)

> The comment says I used moused_port to disable the touchpad but it does not do
> that. I disable the touchpad by: "xinput set-prop 8 "Device Enabled" 0"

I have switched off the touchpad in the BIOS, leaving only
the TrackPoint (and possible external mice) active.

> I did the auto xorg thing.

Same here, no configuration of input devices.

> Maybe because my hardware is pretty similar to yours
> you can see some difference. I could not pick out the mouse from "pciconf -lv"

It isn't listed there. USB mice can be found in the output of
dmesg and usbconfig, PS/2 mice only via dmesg (or system log
file), serial mice not at all.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany