Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 00:04:06 -0500
From:      "Phastnet" <phastnet@bellsouth.net>
To:        <dan@freebsddiary.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: switch from natd to ipnat

> Good point.  I've added this to http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipnat.html:
>
> The following instructions apply only if you are only ipnat and *not*
> adding IP Filter.  The IP Filter installation process will do the
following
> steps for you.

sounds good :)

> > the line I added for ipnat was also still there, so I just deleted it
since
> > it was now a duplicate.  I rebuilt the kernel, rebooted, and everything
> > worked sweet after I ran "ipnat -f /etc/ipnat.conf". I didn't run
"ipf -f
> > /etc/ipf.conf", because everything started working without it.  Should I
be
> > running that too? I haven't setup my rules yet, maybe this is why I
don't
> > notice anything wrong yet?
>
> perhaps your system already has a startup for ipnat in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

actually, my /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory is empty? is this normal?

> > anyways, I converted from using ipfw/natd to this setup, which is what
> > other people probably do too their first time, so I wanted to know what
> > could remove so that ipfw/natd isn't activated anymore. Here's what I
did:

> > removed the natd options from rc.conf
> >
> > this stopped natd from working, but in the dmesg, I still saw alot of
stuff
> > from ipfw. So, I looked up in "The Complete FreeBSD" what I did to
enable
> > natd to begin with. I removed these 2 options from MYKERNEL and rebuilt
it:
> > options IPFIREWALL options IPDIVERT
>
> Above is mentioned at http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipfilter.html under
> "removing natd/ipfw".  I've added a cross reference to this from the
> article you were reading (http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipfilter334.html).

Ahh!! I completely missed that page! your new link should prevent that from
happening
again. Maybe you should try to include a section on each page that has links
to all
the other related pages on your site (like any ipfilter page should have
links on it to
the other ipfilter pages). Just a suggestion :-) probably would take alot of
time to do it.
I noticed you say to change the "firewall_enable="YES" to NO also on your
page,
which I didn't do. I guess I should do that now.  Does this mean that I
don't need my
/etc/rc.firewall file anymore too??

> > I was afraid ipf/ipnat might need these, but it all appears to still
work
> > fine! and the dmesg output looks better now.
> >
> > Did I do it all right? Is there anything else I can remove from the old
> > ipfw/natd setup? Thanks again for your help!!
>
> It sounds right to me.  If all is working well, and you're having no
> problems, It Must Be Right (TM).

it is working quite well now, but one ftp site I connected to using active
FTP
didn't work? all the others seem to be fine.. I switched my ftp client back
PASV mode for that site, and it worked fine. Does this sound normal, or
maybe
I setup something wrong?

> Thanks for the suggestions.

no problem! thanks for a great site!