Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:11:10 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What printed documentation do we need?

    Greg> My thoughts are that we should print completely different
    Greg> manuals describing software which is not described in these
    Greg> manuals.

I tend to agree with you here.  There is a lot of material in the USD
and PSD that could give FreeBSD a big `boost' onto bookshelves---but I
still find them to be somewhat terse in some places, outdated in
others.  In other words, Linux users would still point and laugh.

What I really want are FreeBSD books written from scratch by FreeBSD
people.  I'd like to write such a book.

As someone who's authored, Greg, how much time does such an endeavor
take?  I remember Terry Lambert's analysis of 2600 hours or some such
figure.  The inevitable conclusion: by the time you've finished the
book, it's out of date by three or four OS releases---not that THAT
stops Linux books.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I bet it was pretty hard to pick up girls if you had the Black Death.
-- Jack Handey