Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:02:34 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Jayton Garnett <jayton.garnett@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update

--------------enig7DBAA1F9EC704F10AC198291

If memory serves me right, Jayton Garnett wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>> It is interesting that if you run freebsd-update on a 6.2 system, you =

>> get an end of life approaching please upgrade message. This is=20
>> surprising since either of the upgrade targets are not yet released.=20
>> Additionally, the phrase End of Life has pretty strong conntations.

EOL is a commonly-used term in the software industry.  For FreeBSD, it
is the point past which a given release will no longer be supported by
security advisories/patches, as well as freebsd-update.

> Thats odd, never knew FreeBSD had an EoL, other than support ceasing fo=
r=20
> older releases, which is most likely refers to. But surely 6.2 is still=
=20
> to be supported for a few more years?!

This page gives the official EOL dates for the various FreeBSD releases,
as well as more information surrounding this term.  As I write this, the
estimated EOL for 6.2-RELEASE is 31 May 2008.

http://security.freebsd.org/

There were postings to stable@ and security@ about this message...if I
remember right the basic gist was that freebsd-update(8) makes some
assumptions about when the EOL date that turned out not to be true due
to delays in 6.3-RELEASE, and that this message can be safely ignored.

Bruce.