Date:      Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:24:44 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
To:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Add usr/ports to BSD.usr.mtree

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

Hi, Joerg,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 06:07:32PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:52:34PM +0800, Xin LI wrote:
> > It seems that /usr/ports is not part of our BSD.usr.mtree tree.  Is
> > there any reason for this?  I'm willing to add it to the mtree if
> > nobody objects.
>
> (a) Not everybody uses third party build infrastructures.
> (b) Not everybody uses ports, some use pkgsrc.
> (c) Why should ports be placed in /usr/ports? On my systems it normally
> was under /home, allowing /usr to be much smaller.=20

Thanks for sharing your viewpoints.  Mine is a bit different:
 - Not everyone wants to build the system, especially the large companies
   that utilize some sort of binary update mechainsm.
 - Having an empty /usr/ports does not block the user from using pkgsrc
   or others, and it is possible to use ln(1) if the mtree entry is marked
   "nochange".  Also, the default setting is to use /usr/ports as PORTSDIR.

My points to have /usr/ports in the mtree is for convience that users
creating a jail that is intended to mount the ports tree from the host
system, without having to create their own in every instances.  What
do you think about this?

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb--