Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:04:55 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mgetty AutoPPP not working.

Mike Jenkins wrote:

> Did you know the regular getty will be happy to automatically start
> pppd for you also?  Just add the :pp=/your/favorite/ppp: entry to
> a gettytab entry:
>
>         # /etc/gettytab
>         ppp.115200|115200-ppp:\
>                 :np:sp#115200:\
>                 :pp=/usr/sbin/pppd:
>
>         # /etc/ttys
>         ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty ppp.115200" dialup  on insecure

Yes, but we want to do some cute caller-id tricks to reserve one of the
lines for the user who ponied up the dialin host (and me, of course).
I'll try the pp= entry on my machine so I can add it to my bag of tricks,
but mgetty is working great now.  If I could just find the punch-down
tool, I'd have three lines up and running.  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com