Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 00:33:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Daniel Mahoney, Systems Admin" <danm@firestorm2000.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FrontPage.

Okay, I've been wrestling with frontpage for most of the night.  It's been
a NOT FUN evening.

The versions in "ports" fail because microsoft just released new bloatcode
on the 24th.

Compiling apache from scratch is yielding mixed results at best:

I followed the FAQ at http://freebsd.lanfear.com/howtos/frontpage.html
pretty much to the letter.  It's giving me THIS problem:

I can specify ONE user.  After that one, no others can log in (none
specified subsequently).

I tried following microsoft's advice (whereby it runs some crucial
binaries setuid), and this resulted in a wrapper of some sort not being
found (it was an exe/_vti_ something or other, the exe was there, but
apache wasn't understanding the syntax too well)

I have reinstalled this crap like six times tonight, always hitting the
same problem.  Once I create a root web, all my virtual hosts won't accept
any password except the root web's admin password.  It SHOWS them being
there when I look through fp 98, but they don't work.

I tried patching the binary.  WHen patched it runs for all of two seconds
and dies.  (perhaps because my apache is located in /usr/local/apachefp --
I see no reason to down my sites to hammer on frontpage, but I would
think the patch program would pick up on that)

I'm rather exasperated by all this, and my real question is:has anyone
gotten frontpage, with the FreeBSD server extensions, working flawlessly?

By this I mean having your root web working, as well as your virtual webs
(why can't m$ use standard terms?).  With all using more than one
password, with all running as the user owning the directory (possibly as
DIFFERENT users)

If so, would you care to share?

By the way, love that little disclaimer on the m$ site that says they're
not responsible for freebsd.

*sigh*

-Dan Mahoney