Date:      10 Jan 2002 11:43:27 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device eisa...

Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> writes:

> I've been wondering about the following: Is there actually a need to keep
> the line "device eisa" in the kernel? I realize that my systems need
> "device pci" for the PCI cards and "device isa" for some internal things
> and probably installed ISA cards, but I really wonder what eisa is good
> for. So, does one *always* have to enable eisa if one enables isa (which
> means that eisa can not really ever be disabled), or does eisa only refer
> to special hardware that is not generally included in most PCs and can thus
> be disabled?

You need to keep it only if your motherboard has an EISA bus.

It's probably in GENERIC because there are still a lot of old 486 EISA
MBs which were usually used in servers.  The EISA bus was an advanced
(32 bit?) peripheral bus with much better performance than ISA, but it
could hold either EISA or ISA cards because of its expensive connector.