Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 07:49:10 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@freedomnet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (where are linux threads?) Re: pthreads question/problem...

On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 03:16:34AM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I may be mistaken, but you're both misunderstanding me.  from reading
> recent posts on -current i could have sworn i saw that _NATIVE_
> "linuxthreads" were now available to freebsd.
>
> I think you need to compile a kernel and world with:
> CFLAGS+= COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS
>
> to achive this, the only thing that seems to be missing is a FreeBSD
> userland interface to it.
>
> Is there any chance that this will become standard in FreeBSD? (the thread
> died off without mentioning if it will become default)  what about
> userland interface?

I'm not quite clear about what you mean by "userland interface".  There
is a very rough copy of a "port" of linux threads at http://lt.tar.com .
I hope to clean it up shortly, and if nothing else, submit is as a
FreeBSD port.  You can call the pthread_* functions in FreeBSD from userland
and get 1-1 kernel threads.

--
Richard Seamman, Jr.          email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450