Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 19:11:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        gryphon@healer.com (Coranth Gryphon), freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeNix?

> We are not System V. If we want to be System V stop calling ourselves
> FreeBSD and become FreeUnix (FreeNix anyone? :-)

Well... folks BSD is more or less dead --  at least as far as the commercial
world goes.

I hate to say it -- staying compatible with 4.4 when the rest of the
world has passed it buy is a mistake.

> Seriously. If we want to throw away how /etc/rc works (and it does
> work), then only take from other camps what we need. I have yet
> to see a standard out (ie. all parts work identically) there on the
> 8-10 unix flavors that I work with. So which one are you going to clone?

Well, I've run Solaris,DC/OSx,OS/x,SVR3, SVR2, SVR0, HP-UX, Linux,
SunOS and FreeBSD...

I'm headed to AIX v3 and 4.x -- which I think is SVR4-ish in startup.

Looks like there's more of the AT&T stuff out there than you think.
My history is 8-2 not counting the AIX.

Bill

 Bill Pechter                        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |