Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:14:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wayne M Barnes <stabilizer@klentaq.com>
To:        billm@danger.ms (Bill Marquette)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Stable)
Subject:   Re: ethernet hard or soft failure

Dear Bill

    :(

    Our network guru has looked for rogue cards or laptops on our
dept. network and found none.

    I have increased maxusers to 256, and have tried NMBCLUSTERS at 1024,
4096, (and currently 16K; too recent for results, yet.)

    I have increased my bpf units to 24.

    I have set up a cron job to run every 15 minutes and log the
DIFF against the last time, then DATE, to
http://barnes1.wustl.edu/wayne/NMB
[Here is testNMB* which crontab runs every 15 minutes:
netstat -m | diff NMB.boring - | grep ">" >> ~wayne/NMB.log
date >> ~wayne/NMB.log
netstat -m > ~wayne/NMB.boring
]

    No luck so far.  Every weekday between 1 and 4 or so, my NIC card stops
transmitting across the network.  The console is stays up, but no pings
can get out, nor can anyone log in from anywhere else.

    Our network guy JJ found a recommendation on "Deja News" (I don't know
where that is) to increase kern.vm.kmem.size as the next resort.  I
don't know what a the current value is, or what a reasonable next level
is.  I can't tell by inspecting source mbuf.h, either.  It's well
concealed, if it's there.

Wayne M Barnes      stabilizer@klentaq.com