Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:33:24 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Susie Ward <sward@voltage.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diamond Fireport

On Sat, Nov 29, 1997 at 09:09:26AM -0600, Susie Ward wrote:
> [SNIP]
> If anyone has had any experience with the Fireport on FreeBSD, good or bad,
> I'd like to hear about it. The price on these controllers is quite nice and
> if they'll work well I'd like to start using them :)

The single channel version works fine - it's just a NCR 53c875 card,
which performs admirably under FreeBSD for me (I'm using it to
type this message). I also have the single channel in a couple servers that
pretty much max out 4 disk CCD arrays - haven't had a problem, and the
performance seems on par with the Adaptec 2940.

I haven't tried the dual-channel version of the FirePort, so I don't
even know if it's supported.. ANyone?

-Mark

> TIA,
>
> Susie Ward

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU