Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:06:49 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Details of www.freebsd.org penetration

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

As promised, here are the details of the recent penetration of the
www.freebsd.org server.

As several people guessed, the initial penetration involved weaknesses
in the CGI scripts running on the website. This gained control of user
nobody, and then a local root vulnerability was leveraged to gain root
access to the machine.

As far as we could tell, the attackers' only action was to plant a
greeting on the main webpage. They contacted the security-officer
immediately describing the entry mechanism and the extent of their
activities, and while we do not believe any further malicious activity
was carried out, various protective measures were taken to sanitize
the compromised system, including an audit for all known security
holes and a complete system upgrade.

The www cgi scripts have since been audited by several people for
other vulnerabilities, four of which were found and corrected (I don't
have the exact details to hand). All involved input validation errors
which allowed a remote user to execute commands as the user running
the cgi scripts (user nobody). There is still further work which is
being done on the cgi scripts to ensure greater safety (e.g. use of
perl's taint mode), but the auditors believe the problems have been
fixed. There are also other changes planned to improve the security of
machines in the freebsd.org cluster against future penetration
attempts.

It's my understanding that none of the www.freebsd.org mirrors use the
CGI scripts, therefore this vulnerability is likely limited to the one
main server - but if anyone else has adapted freebsd CGI scripts for
their own purposes they are advised to catch up with recent
changes. Since the website contents are not a supported FreeBSD
product an advisory is not planned for these vulnerabilities.

Sorry for taking longer than promised to send this mail. I am
currently suffering under very reduced connectivity while back home in
Australia for the holidays. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Kris Kennaway
FreeBSD Security Officer

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--