Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:50:35 -0700
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        cort@fsmlabs.com
Cc:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clearing pages in the idle loop

cort@fsmlabs.com wrote:
> We started losing performance with the idle page clearing so
> I've disabled it and haven't done much with it in quite a while.  The code
> has fallen into disrepair and some has been removed in the latest
> versions.  I'd suggest looking at the early 2.3.x and 2.2.1[23] series of
> Linux kernels.  That's where it was doing its best.

Thanks. I'll get that version.

> How do you keep track of what parts of a page are used?  In Linux I was
> just pulling pages off the free-list and zero-ing them.  Do you have a
> bitmap of used regions within pages on BSD?

My mistake. FreeBSD zeroes the whole page as well. I traced through the
code incorrectly.

> I wanted a few bits for each page to describe its state: zero'd,
> non-zero'd, busy being zero'd.  It would have taken some changes to the
> non-arch Linux code to do that and at the time we were moving to a more
> stable tree so I didn't continue with it.  It sounds as though you have a
> framework for doing that sort of thing (and more) with BSD.  Can you send
> me a pointer to the sources you're using?  I'd like to look into it.

I'm running FreeBSD-stable right now, though I may switch to -current if I
get promising results, to make it easier to merge. (There is a web
interface to the FreeBSD CVS tree at
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#cvs).

FYI, I'm interest in this for my thesis, which consists of two parts: (1)
utilizing idle resources (cpu, memory, disk/network I/O, disk/memory space)
for non-interfering background processing (i.e. run processes/threads using
*only* idle capacities); and (2) to use that mechanism for speculative
techniques.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>                 Information Sciences Institute