Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:12:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I think the usual errno hack is just fine..
> we've already cleaned out other occurances of errno from a lot of code.
>
> #define errno (*threadspecific->errnum)
> or
> #define errno (errnum[thread_ID])
>
> Actually there is no reason errno can't be on your local stack, in th
> einitial frame, as long as you have a way to reference it.

OK.  The question came to my mind when reading the Sun whitepaper, for
thread-specific static storage.  They did it via the compiler, and seeing
as that would be hard for us, I was curious how we'd do it.  I was
wondering if it might be done via the thread context block.  In light of
the fact that new threads are dynamically created, I'm not too sure how
you'd do your second suggestion above, but the first one seems easily
doable.

I want to ask a couple more questions, about the scheduler, procs and
KSE's.  For general questions, would maybe another list be better?

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)