Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:02:10 -0500
From:      Simon Morton <simon.morton@verizon.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>, Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/hosts file ?  FBSD doc suck

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> However, an approach that addresses users who are sophisticated in IT but
> simply not familiar with UNIX is probably practical.

There are any number of Unix books out there that already do this.
Just go to O'Reilly or Fatbrain or your local geek bookstore and you
will find more than you can shake a stick at.

FreeBSD is just one among a plethora of Unix-like operating systems,
past and present, which are generally much more alike than they are
different.  If you have no experience with any of them, then you need
more of a grounding in Unix than the official (free) FreeBSD doc set
and man pages can be expected to provide.  Why should volunteers on
the FreeBSD doc project waste their time parroting basic Unix stuff
that is already in 100 books?  It doesn't make any sense.

If I buy the shop manual for my 1999 Ford Taurus, I don't expect it
to tell me which end of the screwdriver to hold.  Presumably I've
read general books on mechanics, perhaps taken a class or worked on
comparable cars, and I have enough context to make the specific
manual for my make and model of car meaningful to me.  If not, I am
asking for trouble.

Should "man 5 hosts" be a little more descriptive and maybe include
an example or two?  Sure, by all means.  But, let's face it, the
format of the hosts file is *really* basic stuff that anyone who has
ever dealt with Unix-style networking *already knows*.  Heck, even
the Windows NT hosts file uses almost the same format.  If this
creates confusion, there are probably other areas of basic Unix
knowledge lacking as well.  *Please* read a Unix book.

I don't mean to be elitist nor to discourage people from joining the
*n*x community.  Unix is not that hard to learn and, once you grok
it, you won't want to go back.  This list, to name but one resource, is
full of people who are willing and able to pass their knowledge and
experience along. But, when you freely download code and documentation
which are supported and maintained entirely by volunteer efforts, you
shouldn't expect the same level of spoon-feeding that you might get when
you have paid hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a piece of
software.  And if you expect it, you should be willing to contribute
toward making it happen.  But whatever the case, please try to refrain
from flaming list members and throwing around unproductive (not to
mention illiterate) statements like "FBSD doc suck" because the
documentation that you paid nothing for can't answer your newbie
question.

Simon
--
http://www.SimonMorton.com