Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:59:10 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf files.i386 src/sys/kern kern_fork.c src/sys/libkern arc4random.c src/sys/sys libkern.h

> * Changes which tighten security are arguably only useful if they're on by
> default, otherwise all the newbies will leave them off, and have
> (relatively speaking) insecure boxes.

That's highly arguable.  We provide secure levels, for example, but if
we turned them on to any appreciable degree then people's X servers
wouldn't work because we have no aperture driver.  Would it be correct
in the general case?  Yes.  Would it be correct for workstation users?
No.  Such is also the case in numerous other situations and it really
is a question of providing mechanisms which people can use selectively,
not just in providing the best "out of box" security defaults.

- Jordan