Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:43:08 -0600
From:      "Thierry Black" <thierryblack@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Simple configuration

Hello

What are some good strategies for rapidly deploying freebsd servers?  I do a
lot of similar actions when putting new servers up, and a lot of the
configuration is almost the same.  Its hard to keep track of changes made to
configuration, especially once the server has been in production for awhile.

I would be very interested in any ideas on hwo I can

1. Centralize the configuration of a server (even moving all of the
configuration files to a common directory that can be more easily backed up
or applied to new installations)

and

2. Keep a history of changes made to cnofiguration

Really i would like to be able to install the latest freebsd release on a
new server, install the ports i need, and copy over a complete systme
configuration, and then make just a few necessary changes. Once the server
is in production i would like to be able to track all of the changes made to
the configuration so it can be easily duplicated.
how do you people do this?

Thank you for your help.