Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 09:43:39 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        Dragos Ruiu <dr@dursec.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The wrong way to deal with SPAM (was "Re: Spammage: I Surf, YOU GET PAID!!!!!! Promise")

(excessive cross-posts removed from CC list)

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 10:01:41PM -0700, Dragos Ruiu wrote:
> I would recommend that everyone who received this forward it back to
> Mr. Pio at hspio@worldnet.att.net to make the point that this is
> unacceptable behaviour.

That's assuming that <hspio@worldnet.att.net> actually sent the spam.
You know as well as anybody else that return addresses on e-mail are
easy to fake.  The message did come from worldnet.att.net, but the
alias "hspio" could be a non-existant mailbox, or worse, an innocent
third party.

I sent a politely worded complaint to the postmaster at worldnet.att.net
including the spam messages with all headers.  They responded confirming
that they received my complaint and told me to send future complaints to
<abuse@worldnet.att.net>.  They also said that they would "take
appropriate action".

We should stop posting about this now (I know how hypocritical this
sounds coming from a posting!).  But seriously, let's put this behind
us and get back to hacking.

Regards,
-brian

> Just once each should suffice, and not contravene any usage policies :-).
>
> I did...  Call it distributed spam negative reinforcement.  :-) :-) :-}
> Let's hope this will be sufficient to reinforce the lesson
> about what not to do on public technical mailing lists.
>
> cheers,
> --dr
>
> --
> dursec.com / kyx.net - we're from the future                      http://www.dursec.com
> learn kanga-foo from security experts: CanSecWest - May 10-12 Vancouver
>
> Speakers: Ron Gula/NSW, Ken Williams/E&Y, Marty Roesch/Hiverworld,
>  Fyodor/insecure.org, RainForestPuppy/wiretrip.net, Theo de Raadt/OpenBSD
>    Lance Spitzner/Sun, Fyodor Yarochkin/KALUG, Max Vision/whitehats.com

Brian O'Shea
boshea@ricochet.net