Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 16:09:49 -0500
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        dan leeds <shadylane258@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OS installation

--.whL7Xmm=.U5VKFh

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:50:34 -0800 (PST)
dan leeds <shadylane258@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can Free BSD be installed from scratch without having an existing OS
> already  installed.

Yes indeed. In fact, it's my favorite way to install. Make backups, nuke the
partitions, and start from scratch.

You'll have to format your drive into at least one "slice" and then break
that slice into filesystems. I recommend a separate filesystem for /, /usr,
swap, and /home. Somebody suggested using the swap partition as /tmp,
mounting it as an MFS filesystem (Memory Filesystem). I haven't done this
myself, but it sounds like a cool idea.

Read the Handbook before you install, if you haven't already. You'll be able
to boot from the first CD-ROM if you have a modern computer, but you'll have
to set your BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM drive before the HD and floppy.

Or, you can just do a set of floppies and boot from those. Read the handbook
first.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net