Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 21:53:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jt <hometeam@techpower.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printer

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Jt wrote:

> I have a Canon MultiPASS C2500 color printer
> anyone have any examples printcaps for a cannon.
> Or know where I can find some?
> thanks in advance

Understand that printcap doesn't include formatting specific to any one
printer.  It includes general abilities to include filters that the user
must set up, to do things like conversion for a printer, accounting,
printing header pages, doing network printing, etc.

The apsfilter port makes use of ghostscript to make a filter system for
printcap, so that postscript files can be sent to the lp printer, or any
of a group of other formats (like gif, jpeg, straight ascii, others).

What I'd suggest doing is to check out ghostscript, which converts
postscript so that a very large assortment of printers can print it.
Postscript is extremely general, and if you can get your printer working
to print postscript via ghostscript, then you can have apsfilter installed
for you by the port, and you'll have a very good printing system.

> hometeam@techpower.net
> --We cannot all be masters, nor all masters
>    Cannot be truly follow'd--
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: 2.6.2
>
> owEBqwBU/4kAlQMFADRCxNWhsddKSTR+6QEBelED/jzeC3btZfqSdIfrNoCgwUJJ
> iNQ33UQoMyJ2ygkfl72xP5J79yml/F4P73GnNaDVbaMOmOG2NNAi5ElE73wRh54U
> 17kH+n5XnYeqekV8T2TG2Q6ex3UotXPyZ1vvrCrSxapOz6a4hh0GQeA55rcwLy2W
> ROHwxfvaVsrX5iVOkRoerBFiC21lc3NhZ2UudHh0AAAAAA==
> =jCvF
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |