Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 02:09:07 -0700
From:      obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca writes:
> In Email, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you've achieved nothing else, you've definitely made the point to
> > me that we've got a serious image problem with -current these days,
> > namely that it's entirely *too* visible.  -current was truly never
>
> That's because you called it -current instead of something like
> -experimental....  "current" is a word usually associated with generally
> good things...  "current" technology, "current" affairs...  The "current"

You've also got the problem that -current has evolved substantually
beyond -release.   At one time, -current was the way future of FBSD,
full of "experiements".  But, if you read the newsgroup/lists it quickly
becomes appartent that in order to contribute hardly at all you need to
be running -current.  Often I've seen people wanting to try to get
involved, and are told that they should submit diffs agaist -current
because -current is too differnt from -release and the integration
effort is too much.

The requirement to be running -current has even crept into porting.
With the latest changes (moving of libs from /usr/ports to /usr/lib for
example), not even that form of contribution hasn't been touched.

-- David    (obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)